When progressed, the Toliara Project will have a significant positive effect on both the National and Regional economies.
Indirect and induced economic contributions could be expected to include:
- Capital investment – while the final capital cost is yet to be finally determined, it is expected to be in excess of US$350 million
- Employment – direct employment and indirect via supply chain and contractors
- Local content – the mine will seek to utilise local suppliers where feasible, including spare parts, maintenance and operating consumables, transport, security and other outsourced services
- Direct taxation contribution – through royalties and direct taxation
- Indirect tax contributions – employees’ income tax contributions
- Community development programmes and investment designed in consultation with local communities to address priorities